The declassified government files are part of a large collection of documents containing doomsday orders. Presidential Emergency Action Documents (PEAD) empower the Commander-in-Chief of the United States to overcome emergency circumstances.
PEAD has never been fully declassified. They remain classified, and their exact details are not known to the general public. The files were collected over several years and published by the Brennan Center for Justice . The released files contain documents compiled during the period from President Dwight Eisenhower during the Cold War to Donald Trump during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some orders and orders include:
- Permission to censor news;
- The ability to detain any foreign enemy;
- Suspension of the writ of Habeas Corpus , closely related to the inviolability of the person and the presumption of innocence;
- Conducting a search and confiscation of citizens’ property;
- Rationing of the number of basic necessities, food and water;
- Description of efforts to maintain public spirit;
- Indication of fundamental rights and freedoms after the attack;
- The ability to decentralize the government to avoid the death of the president and his successors in the event of a nuclear strike on Washington;
- Temporary cancellation of US passports to prevent the movement of citizens;
- The ability to disconnect the USA from the Internet and telephone communication.
“Since Congress cannot fulfill its constitutional role as a deterrent to executive power, it remains likely that modern PEADS will sacrifice the constitutional rights of Americans and the rule of law for emergency planning.”, Benjamin Waldman of the Brennan Center for Justice said.
Earlier, a researcher at a US university warned that giving artificial intelligence control over nuclear weapons could provoke an apocalypse.